vendredi, décembre 09, 2005

In a room without stars ...




Originally written August 15, 2005



In a room without stars, without
the time telling us when to go ...
this had become my home.
I had no right to stay, never
knowing when to say farewell
to the clothes of our agreement.
Perhaps it had been easier for you
to wear yourself out with my attention.

I remember grazing naked over the plains,
the landscape slender like your abdomen, with
a hint of shrubbery where the seeds
had been sown before daylight.
I remember hearing the hoeing of rain
outside in the distant hallway, where
the sun kept thrusting its torpid rays
inside the throes of a dense calm.
Not here, not where I thought
the void had been filled with stars,
the memory of your scent rubbing off
with the pretense of your breathing.

I remember myself without guilt,
enthralled by the death of my egregiousness.

Don't you miss this thing of beauty,
a heart beating without a chest?
A body walking without a head?
I could not find any other purpose
as mild as an untamed beast, yet milder
than its incorrigible tamer.
I once had your arms to house me,
the foundations of a room without stars.
Or had they been my own arms,
desperately holding onto the gutters
of the roof I had built over myself?

The first and the last, the compromises,
took two days too easy to forget.
I continued to walk the road alone
still trapped inside your room, or me,
trapped in my own disillusionment.
Would I have had the right to leave, when
now that I'm in my own room,
I realize I hadn't been guided accordingly?
I lit the sky with a perfect match
and pretended forgetting I miss it so badly.
I faked being intimate with the stars
and I don't feel shame for having done it.



2 Truths:

Blogger Ingrid C.in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

this hint of shrubbery is making me smile :) i miss you

samedi, décembre 17, 2005 7:08:00 PM  
Blogger bismuthin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

it's uncanny how it seems, you wrote this for me.

mercredi, décembre 21, 2005 9:04:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home