mardi, octobre 25, 2005

Japanese Cherry & Sushi

.
.
.
Last Sunday I met up with my college friends for a bit of tea & sashimi. We had our own stories to tell, something new to talk about like someone's gorgeous new Prada bag or someone's boyfriend doing stuff behind her back or someone's views on marriage and pregnancy or someone's brush with irresponsibility, but the bottomline was that we all lingered on the subject of SEX. So, for those who weren't able to cum dine with us while we ate each others' sushi, too bad ... you missed a lot.
.
Anyway, after each of us cried over our wasabi sauce and the staff's over-zealousness to serve, someone got to ask the question, "Are you happy?" to everyone. Well, everyone except me.
.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not offended or feeling left out and I'm not writing this down to make anyone feel guilty for not having asked me. It doesn't really matter, though I dared asked myself the same in hopes of gauging if I've changed my mind about my status quo.
.
For me, the non-bitter me that is, I believe true happiness is balance. Like one friend said, you can't be happy ALL THE TIME. That would mean there's something wrong with you, that you are experiencing a manic episode or something. I should know, my blog past September was all splattered with the glint of mania. Not that I don't believe anyone can be happy all the time, it's just that I feel it's all a matter of perspective. A person may be having problems with his/her life but he/she can choose to look at the bright side and remain happy in spite of that. This is different from say, someone who has problems but denies their existence and lives in the delusion that everything is perfect. Hence in my case, I guess I can say I am "happy"with work, "happy" with my friends and officemates, "happy" with the changes in my life. But i can also say I am "unhappy"with some other aspects of my existence like my career, my love life, and my plans for the future. My happiness stems from the fact that I am grateful for the good things I've got going for me and my unhappiness stems from the insatiable nature of humans to strive for the best. Perhaps it is true then what people say that simple people find happiness with more facility.
.
I'm not simple and I refuse to be. So there ... my gift and my curse. However, had I been asked if I am happy, I would've answered, "I try to find balance and that is better."
.
.
.

9 Truths:

Anonymous Anonymein a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

.wow. i think i've just read a winning answer to a ms. universe final question. :D

.kidding aside, it's true that happiness is hard to come by nowadays. but as you've said, balance is the key. withouy it, the fragile thread of sanity would shrivel away.

.i miss your company na. probably we can hang out and be merry sometime.

mardi, octobre 25, 2005 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger {illyria}in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

yeah. he did things behind her back. but she isn't happy all the time either. great answer.

mardi, octobre 25, 2005 5:29:00 PM  
Blogger ninjatoin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

sigh how I miss going out with my college buds... actually visited them at the office, but of course that's not an environment where you get to exactly hang out and enjoy, so hopefully be doing something soon with them again...anyway, can't wait to catch up with you dude, I'm sure it's going to be some interesting talks with the coffee and the cigs hehe....

mercredi, octobre 26, 2005 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger - litol figgy -in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

i think you just answered a question i had stuck in my head.

jeudi, octobre 27, 2005 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger paningitin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

okay. reading this post pretty much complicated my day. :)

jeudi, octobre 27, 2005 2:00:00 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C.in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

she didn't ask because she knew you would transcend the inane question. she hates good answers. why do you think she watches conan o'brien?

vendredi, octobre 28, 2005 10:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymein a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

nice answer :) made me think too what my miss universe answer will be, hehehe. here goes:

Some people wait for things to happen, for them to reach certain goals, and then they say they are happy. Others say that it's just a state of mind, that one can be happy just by deciding to be one.

For me, happiness is when i feel my being resonates with the environment, whether i'm in a winning moment (such as getting a raise or recognition), or just as well when i feel alone during a boring autumn sunday. in short, i'm happy when i'm one with the world. i thank you.

vendredi, octobre 28, 2005 1:56:00 PM  
Blogger bismuthin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

articulating the nuances of happiness. i should drink your tea.

lundi, octobre 31, 2005 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger ennuiin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

r3dguy - ugh. u and ur ms universe pun. talk to the hand (that waves).

i'd love to hang out with u sometime before i start my horrible new work sched :|

transience - it only hurts the first few moments. after that it's gets better if done with enough practice.

you're right ... sensuous woman was unremarkable.

ninjato - thanks a lot for hanging out with me last Friday. i'm heartfully sorry for having unloaded like that. thanks for listening and for not judging me for my aquarian worldview. i sincerely hope things work well for u. enjoy ur vacation! Ü

rain - we find answers in the weirdest places. i got that thought while i was in the crapper. hahaha

paningit - but you're a complicated person with the most hilarious stories!

mussolini - if only ms universe judges would have the same attitude ... it would be the end of beauty pagents as we know it! lol

chris - and the crown goes to ... hehe seriously though, i guess it's ur way of striking balance, one with yourself and with nature. i just feel sometimes that i've gotten used to the noise that it feels weird not having it around. but this line of thinking ain't gonna get me the Nobel hahaha

bismuth - we share the same cup u know, having our "breakthrough year" hehehe

lundi, octobre 31, 2005 2:13:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home