dimanche, février 27, 2011

2,922 meters above sea level


There are certain journeys that you take wishing it would be worth it, and they fall flat of your expectations. Then there are journeys where you expect the least from, and they impact your view of the world in unexpected ways. Just this weekend, I've been to the summit of the 106th highest mountain in the world. At that particular moment climbing up amidst the zero-degree temperature and the dark night, it didn't seem much. I got caught up in the race to out-hike the rest of the campers and at times walked alone in the dark. But I found out it wasn't so bad, I found out I didn't really have to be afraid of myself. And it gave me a certain satisfaction to know that in all 4 hikes, despite my lack of physical conditioning, I could keep up with the best and the fastest; that despite the fact I couldn't feel my legs anymore, I could keep myself going. Reaching the summit was not the reward, the fact that I came from a 6 hour hike in 2 days with little sleep and little food, unscathed, was reward in itself. I believe that the destination is only 2nd to the journey itself.
Of course, dealing with the call of nature was uncomfortable yet memorable (as always, really) and given the chance, I could fondly recount all those hilarious momets in a novel. Haha I questioned whether or not I could deal with being out of my comfort zone, not just with the climb but with life in general, and I realized that that I could. I realized I am fine being by myself. Of course it ain't fun being alone and the hike was all the better with my closest. That kind of warmth you get from familiarity is hard to find and it helps to recreate comfort and cope with harsh environments. It helps also to prepare well too, to always have an extra garbage bag handy. ☺
Would I have lasted another night in the freezing cold, without food and almost no water left? I guess I could. Would I do it again? Umm, maybe. Hahaha
This arduous trip to Mt. Pulag helped me recognize why I still believe in myself.

1 Truths:

Blogger Ingrid C.in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

next time, mag-diaper na tayo. hahahahaha

samedi, mars 26, 2011 5:03:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home