lundi, mars 07, 2005

Inevitable Siestas

.
.
.
Although the humble archipelago I live in and have finally come to accept as my semi-permanent home, was a former colony of the Castillans who had come to follow Fernando de Magallañes in 1521, our country's metropolitan district -- the National Capital Region -- has more or less embraced the workaholic mindset toward a progressive economy, albeit miserably flailing in tangible results since the ebb of the People Power Revolution of 1984 and WAY BEFORE THAT, which does not give sufficient margin for the lackadaisical public that wish to enjoy a less stressful standard of living devoid of break neck responsibilities and mind-numbing overtime pay-exempt work hours and slow vertical mobility.
.
.
What am I trying to point out?
.
.
For the past 2 weeks that I've started working, I've fallen asleep numerous times, especially after lunch, an unintentional attempt on my part to commemorate something that dates back to the 300+ years of my non-Hispanic ancestral heritage. Inevitable siestas.
.
Right after a satisfactory meal in the cafeteria and a burning stick to calm my nervous energy, I find myself in a losing battle to stay awake during the quiet little intervals of waiting between prank calls from the West coast and leaving voice mail messages for those in the East Coast. This while reading through Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, the novel being a sordid attempt at making a hollywood movie out of a pseudo-intellectual suspense adventure story. Despite the lack of clear character differentiation and grossly exagerrated build up of the defunct Illuminati brotherhood, I find this undeserving novel would do me more good keeping awake, than say, Beowolf, the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam or the translated copy of the Bhagavad-Gita. Not to say that I find the literary classics boring, I just fear I might end up in corporate comatose much sooner trying to analyze the quatrains, rhythmic verses, and historical symbology when reading such.
.
My strategy hasn't been effective so far because in spite of the fact that I had already read through the second brutal murder of a kidnapped cardinal from the Il Conclave, the election for a new pope (which I find creepy considering the fact that I read in the papers this morning about Karol Wojtila's declining health and the talks of a favored successor to include in the ranks of the il preferiti), I still found myself nodding off the minutes till the beeping intro of a new phone call. Sadly, I couldn't help saying yes to a nice quiet nap after a nice quiet meal.
.
While I haven't a replacement strategy at hand, I'm simply hoping not to get caught ... at all ... for the entire year.
.
.
.

10 Truths:

Blogger Aleksuin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

A true Pacific Ocean themed Dilbert nightmare.

When you say West Coast, East Coast, are you refering to the USA?

lundi, mars 07, 2005 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger - litol figgy -in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

it's unfair really. companies don't understand the need for napping. they expect you to stay awake for the whole 8 (make that nine) hours, hence the coffee break. but they won't make you sleep. that bugs me. napping is but natural. when i have my own company, i will surely endorse siesta breaks.ÜÜÜ

mardi, mars 08, 2005 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger paningitin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

i've read somewhere that napping actually helps increase productivity. the article was made by some nerd in pjs that interviewed scientists and some psycho-analysts people about it. and they had charts and graphs to prove it too. charts and graphs are pretty useful sometimes to drive a point, especially if you're showing them to gullible people.

anyway, if i had a choice, i'd work from 8:00 am to 9:00 am. have coffee and cigarettes until 10:00 am. blog until 12:00pm. have lunch til 1:30pm. nap until 4:00pm. then work up to 5:00. that'll be the perfect scenario for me.

wait a minute. i'm already doing that. heh.

mardi, mars 08, 2005 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger EGO SVM CAROLVSin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

Did you guys know that a normal worker can only devote 4 hours of concentrated work? And that I'm the pj-clad nerd with the graphs? I'm kidding on the 2nd one.

But, yeah, I did some power-napping at one of my former jobs. It took a while before I got used to it, but it really helped me get through those sleep-deprived times.

Now sleep just intrudes whenever it likes. But wait, isn't that an illness? Uhm, doctor?

mardi, mars 08, 2005 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger {illyria}in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

i love the way you wrote this, ennui. maybe because i can relate. i am, however, stuck on the rubaiyat. you know why.

mardi, mars 08, 2005 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger paningitin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

carolvs -> yeah go see a doctor. i think that's narcolepsy or something.

mardi, mars 08, 2005 6:06:00 PM  
Blogger ennuiin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

blex - yes, me refer to mainland america. btw, some f*cked up kids had me read a whole paragraph of eminem. i so wanted to do a columbine in my seat

rain - i would love to work in your company, but i'd honestly prefer being a corporate partner than a napping slave hehehe ;)

paningit - yeah i read about this too. it's a shame really, had we internet access in the office, i would dopplegang your work schedule!

carolvs - 4 hours only? no wonder i'm so during lunch! the remaining 3 hours of optimum concentration come when i leave the office and hang out for chit-chat! hahaha

transience - you're stuck with the rubaiyat? why? pray tell ... ;P

paningit - does it make it work if the person is an insomniac at home and narcoleptic in the office?

mardi, mars 08, 2005 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C.in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

a friend of mine from the office sleeps with his eyes open. it's normal, doctors say, but uncommon.

me thinks we should try this sometime...

mercredi, mars 09, 2005 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger paningitin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

ennui -> insomiac at home, narcoleptic at the office? talk to your HR and tell them you'll be working from your house. that'll solve your problem. and oh, ask them how much rent you have to pay for an office bed space.

mussolini -> my dad does that. first time i saw it, i totally freaked out. we were watching patch adams, and his eyes were glued to the screen, and he was snoring. dang!

mercredi, mars 09, 2005 4:23:00 PM  
Blogger ennuiin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

mussolini - wish i can do that, sleep with my eyes open. that way they can never tell if i'm alive and alert or simply having a nervous breakdown. (is there a difference between the two?)

paningit - your Dad must've loved Patch Adams so much he had to pretend he was awake. maybe he wasn't snoring ... just breathing noisily. hehe

mercredi, mars 09, 2005 10:12:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home