mercredi, janvier 18, 2006

Songs for the Sleepy Hollow

.
.
.
010306
.
.
There in the corner of my eye
was the quivering silhouette of my mother.
She had been staring out the window
combing her hair to an incorrigible groom.
She'd pluck her eyebrows like feathers to a dove
till all that's left was a half-naked stare.
.
.
I often wondered where she'd gone
she used to sing me to sleep
and tap my legs like burning light
falling off the tip of a cigarette.
She never smoked and never knew how
so I learned it for her.
.
.
It used to be just the two of us
but now there's everything in between:
she and her work
me and my sisters
her affection and old age.
I couldn't decide which carried more weight,
but I knew I chose to carry hers.
.
.
I can't reconcile the silhouette from the shadow,
the duties from the affection, me from my sisters.
It was as if we were all strands of unruly hair
all caught up in an impossible tangle.
.
.
By now she had been looking elsewhere,
outside the window with her naked stare.
I see her from afar, in the corner of my eye:
her tired arms, her wrinkled expression,
her weighted womb.
.
.
I had to crawl back under the sheets
to tap my own legs and hope to fall back to sleep.
On other nights unsucceeding, I'd steal a smoke
and think of my past,
the memories burning like the tip of my stick
reconciling the smoke with the scent of her dyed hair.
.
.
.
.
011606
.
.
If I close my eyes
I dare not see
the slit of your eyes
like a bleeding wrist.
And how if I pry them open
they would gush out like tears.
.
.
I dare not feel for you
and I remind myself to stay awake
while I hear you call my name
thin like a blade passing over my skin.
.
.
This must be sacrilege, my ignorant singing,
the consequence of an impalpable desperation
tuning itself like an instrument of pain.
It comes back to haunt me, your blood,
flooding through the floors of my house.
.
.
The pain ignites the dormant fires in it,
it burns aned wants to be seen.
Everybody wants to be a witness.
Everybody wants an unobstructed view.
.
.
If I close my eyes now
I dare not see, not ever,
the warmth taking shape in a grail,
the saint burning on an altar of my distractions.
.
.
.

1 Truths:

Blogger - litol figgy -in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

ai! you're so good at this. tell me again why you're not submitting your poems to PP. :p

jeudi, janvier 19, 2006 4:33:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home