mercredi, décembre 08, 2004

In a brainless mood today

"I wish I'd only look
And didn't have to touch
I wish I'd only smell this
And didn't have to taste
How can I ignore?
This is sex without touching ..."

-- Enjoy by Bjork



Last Saturday I met up with Luke, Joeboy and his sister Dian. They were supposed to watch Bridget Jones but I came in late so I became the party spoiler. Hehehe We went to McCafe, this pseudo-ambient coffee place made by the McDonald's corporation to compete with Starbucks and all those other ubiquitous coffee places around the metropolis. Joeboy and Luke took a walk around, while I sat with Dian as she wrote the word Krystala on tissue paper using a sachet of tomato catsup. Go figure the excitement. :P

We established that she's taking up AB Psychology in a reputable school and I told her how I'm a frustrated psychologist. She administered a very simple personality test to determine my mode of recall. She asked me to describe a memorable experience.

I described my first trip to the US of A and I described the time my uncle and I were carnapped in their Fairview village. Very short stories, parcels of my childhood that I remember well. She analyzed these and told me I'm a kinesthetic person, one who remembers experiences by the way I felt at the time, how the environment made me feel and how I felt about it, the combination of details on the sensory level of perception. I couldn't help but agree. This is probably why I listen to music all the time, with much of my attention on instrumentation and vocals than on the lyrics sometimes. This may also be the reason why I get antsy when I read a book. I couldn't quite separate the virtual world created by the author and my own world, there in the quaint corner of my bed with the flourescent lamp illuminating the pages while my eyes run along the pickets of words. I'm too biological to get distracted, unless of course the story captivates my interest beyond my need for meals or the internet. Such a shame really, which is why I try to catch up on my reading by getting opinions from my bookworm friends. Hahaha I become this little spineless parasite.

Does this mean I'm dyslexic? Does this mean I have ADHD? There are a number of books out there waiting to be read, I just can't seem to sit through with a quiet mind.

Anyway, last night I was watching Sex and the City and it struck me how the writers for Carrie are kinesthetic too. The types of questions they asked, the words they used ... everything in precise detail in wanting to create a picture of harmony (or disconnection) for each episode. They not only made you see or hear the details, they made you FEEL how the characters felt, think how the characters thought. Deft scriptwriting. Like Carrie, I tend to overanalyze everything, to ask much too many questions that I often end up more confused and doing the wrong things. We are both practical yet idealistic, which is like, a sure ticket to indecisiveness. We both rely on more than 1 friend to get through our travails because we find our need satisfaction in many different people. This is why I have many close friends but not ONE best friend. I feel as if one person can't handle me and my neuroses. Or perhaps I'm merely saving the BEST for last. Hehehe

All in all, I might end up like her, Carrie Bradshaw, spending loads on material things that perk me up, being content with the easy job and not looking to move up, living in a quaint little apartment alone like my father, spending weekends desperately wanting to party with friends or getting a dose of intellectual discourse over caffeine and sugar, becoming the poorer among my achieving and financially secure corporate friends, obsessing over issues and relationships (or the lack of these) then writing about it all as a means to an end.

I may be like this, but then again, who isn't this neurotic sometimes?


... O god ... this HAS to be a low point, comparing myself to a pop icon. 8-


6 Truths:

Blogger - litol figgy -in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

"Like Carrie, I tend to overanalyze everything, to ask much too many questions that I often end up more confused and doing the wrong things."

--i recently learned a valuable lesson: that most of the times, thinking is a hindrance to ACTUALLY living; and that our neuroses are mainly brought about by striving to do the "right" thing.
who knows what is right, anyway?ÜÜÜ

mercredi, décembre 08, 2004 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger {illyria}in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

ennui >> stop thinking about the thousand permutations of meaning. at least for today. go buy a dolce loafer.

rain >> beautifully said.

mercredi, décembre 08, 2004 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C.in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

transience > PERMUTATIONS!!! that's MY word. like CONUNDRUMS is yours.

ennui > heed transience.

mercredi, décembre 08, 2004 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger ennuiin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

Rain - so true. It's a burden sometimes to have an overactive brain. Tsk tsk

Transience - A dolce loafer would be fantabulous, except that it's not in my list of needs right now. What I need is jackassery.

Mussolini - My mind's like a Kadinsky painting, but I'd prefer something more "primitive" like Dada Art. Ü

mercredi, décembre 08, 2004 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger {illyria}in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

mussolini >> so i rip you off! so shoot me. i worship the ground you walk on.

ennui >> haha, jackassery.

mercredi, décembre 08, 2004 6:14:00 PM  
Blogger Aleksuin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

McCafe, I have yet to see one of those.

Do they sell McLattes and McCafe'au-Laits?

There was a time when I would get so much into the book I was reading that my brother would put a mirror to my mouth to make sure I was breathing. Now, I fall asleep after two or three pages, it takes me a year to read a book that before I would devour in a couple of days.

mercredi, décembre 08, 2004 10:33:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home