vendredi, janvier 21, 2005

3048

.
.
"That era has passed. Nothing that belonged to it exists any more. He remembers those vanished years. As though looking through a dusty window pane, the past is something he could see, but not touch. And everything he sees is blurred and indistinct."
-- from In the Mood for Love
.
.
.
.
I don't know exactly why but ever since my grandmother survived pneumonia last year, I had begun to unintentionally avoid visiting her regularly. We live in the same house so it shouldn't have taken the least bit of effort to go into her room and make my presence felt. Me, one of her favorite grandchildren from the time my family moved in in 1989.
I love my grandma so much, at one point I even felt more love for her than for my own mother. She had always been there for me and took care of me whenever my parents would go to Baguio on periodic occasions. She took care of the house, spoiled us with food and material comforts, money. She had been the strength of the whole household and the whole clan. I really love her, but lately, I couldn't seem to reciprocate the same concern, the same responsibility. Perhaps it's because I hate seeing her in distress, I hate seeing her 97-year old body in a worse condition now than it was a few years back. Maybe I fear losing her and reopening the envelopment of emotions I've kept since the last time I saw her in pain.

She was admitted to the hospital last Saturday because she had experienced difficulty in breathing. It was early afternoon and I was busy preparing for 2 gatherings that evening. I prioritized these over accompanying her ride to the hospital. I didn't even visit her in the room to greet her or make my presence felt before I went on my way. I kept my guilt for the rest of the night.

My sister and I visited her last Sunday. 3048. We were wearing gas masks so as not to transfer any communicable illnesses from outside. She was sitting on her bed, the saline solution attached to her right hand, all okay. She looked healthy and happy.

My sister and I sat on opposite sides of her, clutching her hands and gently caressing her wrinkled sinews. She asked me why I hadn't visited the last 3 days. I told her I had been at work, which was true, but it undermined the fact that I hadn't seen her in more than a week. I tucked her thin, light brown hair behind her ear, the way I always do, and I told her how pretty she is. She smiled and told me how much she loves me. She gave me a warm kiss, the kind where she inhales deeply, the sound of which was as if she were smelling fresh flowers. She's the only person I know who kisses like that.

I told her I love her too.

And for a moment there, I felt like I was the same 11-year old boy who'd accompany her going up the stairs, who'd lie down in her bed while she'd tell the story about the monkey and the turtle, who'd receive honors in school and make her proud; the little boy she fought the bully for when she found ballpen marks all over his arms.

For a moment there, I felt as if I had been forgiven.
.
.
.

6 Truths:

Blogger {illyria}in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

ennui, i could feel every emotion reading this. just beautiful. and your grandmother is one admirable, formidable woman. she practically raised you. i think you take after her more than you care to admit.

samedi, janvier 22, 2005 9:14:00 AM  
Blogger Aleksuin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

It is never too late.

We get so wrapped up in our lives that sometime's we forget we need to look back towards those who showed us the path to make sure they are doing fine.

Reach out, always reach out.

samedi, janvier 22, 2005 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger ennuiin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

transience - I'm not used to receiving affection.

Blex - I know it's not too late, I just don't know how to go about reaching out. Closeness with family has never been my strength.

samedi, janvier 22, 2005 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger Stanin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

Hi Ennui, You're an exceptionally good writer, and your blog is incredibly beautiful! If you don't mind, I'm going to link you.

What you're experiencing with your grandmother is universal. I'm having the same problem with my old relatives. In the nursing homes, very seldom do any relatives come to visit. It's not just you. I think it has to be some kind of instinctive response. All I can think of is maybe it's a way of letting them die, even of hurrying it up, I suppose so that it makes life better for the younger people. In any case, you don't have to feel guilty about it thinking it's something you're doing wrong yourself. I did find a solution to it. What you have to do is plan on making very short visits, with the excuse you can't stay long for one reason or another. Then when you go, have a story prepared about your own life, something that happened, or something about what you're doing. Then you can just tell your story, and not put as much energy into thinking about her. That takes away from that feeling of not wanting to be there. And she'll appreciate the story more than anything else anyway.

Keep up the great writing.

dimanche, janvier 23, 2005 2:39:00 AM  
Blogger Aleksuin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

Ennui, taking into consideration how deep her love for you runs, I would say that all it takes for you to reach out to her is to provide your presence, she will then show you the way.

dimanche, janvier 23, 2005 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger ennuiin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

Stan - Thank you so much for the compliment. More importantly, thank you for the advice. I'll try to do that before she goes home probably this week. I shall link you up as well Ü

Blex - True. Sometimes words aren't enough, but presence and touch most often mean a lot more.

lundi, janvier 24, 2005 4:39:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home