mercredi, août 16, 2006

The Stars Are Blind

.
.
"Dear World: I am leaving because I am bored. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool."
.
.
-- George Sanders, suicide victim
.
.
.
.
Amidst the stars twinkling on my wallpaper, I've decided to update my blogger profile. Not like it's been a habit of mine to update it every now and then; I guess I feel it's time for another change. The main highlight is that I've been drawn to rediscovering pop culture. I mean, whatever happened to that precocious pre-teen who used to listen to Debbie Gibson or sing "Hold On" by Wilson Philips; the kid who bought his first cassette tape: Francis Magalona's Mga Kababayan (My Fellow Countrymen); who obsessed on making mix tapes from deejay-murdered dance hits on the radio, staying up all night during the weekends hoping to record a complete static-free radio quality copy of Kalapana's The Hurt, Tropical Dance Mix version or Funkstar de Luxe's How Gee Triple Extended Mix.
.
.
Yes, those were the days of humiliation. The early 90's. I was never fully conscious of anything in the 80's so I can't really say I felt mortified having been born then. Besides, the 80's was a blur, from playing G.I. Joe and Barbie dolls, to riding the bike, to almost completing the first-ever version of Super Mario Brothers, to watching Small Wonder in the afternoon. It all went by so fast. And like the stupid haircuts then, never left anything for me to miss. I never considered my early predilection for New Wave hits an embarrassment. Tears for Fears used to "rock my world" and it still does. But the 90's?? Geez ... Trapper Keepers, Reebok Pumps, Windbreakers, Bulldog shoes, war games, marvel cards, Versace's rock n' roll fashion, Beverly Hills 90210 ... *cringes*
.
.
All those memories would not serve me well anymore, except perhaps for purposes of humor on days when I feel like I'm older than everyone else in the office. Harhar. I've come to a healthy and informed decision to get back in touch with the world -- listening to pop music, watching local movies, reading the dailies and magazines off the counter, conversing with people ... Cliché but applicable to me right now, I'm 27 going 13. My sister and I practically have the same interests now. Toys. ; )
.
.
(Okay, enough of this foolishness)
.
.
I open the radio and realize Paris Hilton can't sing a damn note. Indeed, the stars are blind, but I figure it can't get any worse; and maybe what George Sanders failed to see is that the world seems boring only because we close our eyes to the things we think aren't interesting.
.
.
.

9 Truths:

Blogger r3dguyin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

.wow. as in wow. good for you.

mercredi, août 16, 2006 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger paningitin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

that was one fucking nostalgia trip. so we're the same age. the time you spent with Debbie Gibson, Wilson Phillips, How Gee, and Tears for Fears, i spent with The Cure, The Clash, Elvis Costello, the Dawn, and every other punk band my older cousin shoved down my ears at the time. i was a FREEMAN, FrancisM type of fan.

i did GI JOE, Zoids, Thundercats, Voltron, Transformers, Voltes V, and Daimos (Erika!)... but not Barbie. Oh, and don't forget those Panini workbooks.

Bev hills 90210 and small wonder? no and no.

i watched dougie howser md, the highway man, alfred hitchcock, macguyver (oh yes), airwolf, ALF, perfect strangers (balki bartokomos!).. and my favorite, the wonder years. didn't you guys have F.E.N. before where you can watch WWF's survivor series during my birthday (thanksgiving)?

glad to have read your post. it brought me back to me childhood.

oh, by the way, paris hilton can't sing. but she's hot. only, she's a slut.

mercredi, août 16, 2006 9:19:00 AM  
Blogger ninjatoin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

Welcome back to pop culture land, or as I call more useless information that you can probably pull out of your brain the next time you have a conversation, heh...I'd share my nostalgic eccentricities, but that would take more than two blog entires and a definite exercise in humiliation so at this point, de nada...as for paris and the song, its a piece of fluff, and at this point the singing for me is not the point for her and never the point so in some strange way, I am not repulsed by her, just strangely indifferent...

samedi, août 19, 2006 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger JiJain a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

I have a friend who's born and raised in the USA, whilst I spent my formative years climbing trees and fishing in swamps in the province in the Philippines. I've had the typical 80's childhood. So we were comparing notes one day, on what our childhood was like.

Him: I played with gi joe's and had a child sized jeep that run on batteries and my sister had an easy bake oven...I watched thundercats and he man and bioman and voltron and rainbow brite and care bears.

me: yeah ok i played with empty matchbox and this and that and whatever my mom would throw away. I cooked with real miniature clay pots and real fire. I watched batibot and yan ang bata and analuna and ula.

here's where it got interesting...

he watched bioman...WE ARE BIOMAN!!
(every girl wanted to be pink 5, 'cause yellow 4 dies/d)

hehe

he played with gi joe's...WE ARE GI JOE! GO JOE!!!!

ah, the joy of growing up in the philippines.

nice to look back every now and then.

mercredi, août 23, 2006 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger {illyria}in a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

but paris can sing a damn note! just that one thing. that one damn note.

jeudi, août 24, 2006 4:57:00 PM  
Blogger ennuiin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

r3dguy - thx bro!

a-hole! - LOL@ panini workbooks! I never did get one of those. Makes me feel I missed my childhood entirely. hehe Perfect Strangers! I still sing their theme song every now and then when I'm bored at work. No one seems to know what the song is.

yes paris is hot. almost perfect, as she claims, but only for herself. who's her latest fling now?

ninjato - admit it, paris gives you a boner. who cares if she can sing or not, what matters is how she holds the mic. harhar!

jija - when i was really young, u used to have a bicycle that's shaped like an airplane. it was made entirely out of plastic so when i got too heavy, i burst the plastic wheel. oh, and my playmates and i used to cook gumamela plants and make bubbles. back then we had a yard. now, my apartment mate has oregano outside our window.

funny it took me today to comment ... we have this whole 80's thing going in the office tomorrow. i have lotsa ideas what to wear, just that i've thrown them all away some 10 years ago. HAHAHAHA

{illyria} - ur comment made me L-O-L-Z!!! at least she can pull it off.

the pop star image, i mean.

dimanche, août 27, 2006 1:06:00 AM  
Blogger JiJain a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

I will be going to a conference next weekend in seattle, WA. Saturday night will be an 80's themed party. i'm torn between a madonna outfit (lace leggings and the cone corset) and molly ringwald's pretty in pink prom dress. haha!

lundi, août 28, 2006 1:56:00 PM  
Blogger bismuthin a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

my memory of the 80's? me in a jeepney sititng next to a teenage boy with stardust on his face, neck, arms. and yeah, metro aides arguing with washwomen about the merits and shame of the marcoses. and oh, pasig river overflowing, ga-leeg ng tao!

mercredi, septembre 20, 2006 7:40:00 PM  
Blogger Ninjain a hightened sense of self mumbled ...

I really wish someone would shoot Paris Hilton!
Nice blog by the way.
Cheers! :)

mardi, octobre 03, 2006 12:53:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home